Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Losing Myself in the Service of Others and Finding True Happiness

I knew that when I came to India it was not going to be a vacation. I was going to be working hard and tired at the end of each day. I just didn't know how tired I would actually be; however, it is the best feeling to be literally exhausted at the end of the day knowing that you spent your entire day serving others. I am loving every minute of the experience I am having here. 
 As many of you who know me, I am a worrier. I worry about things that I have realized while I have been here are irrelevant. President Hinckley said, "The best antidote I know for worry is work. The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired. One of the best ironies of life is this: He or she who serves almost always benefits more than he or she who is served."
 I can honestly say that while I have been here at Rising Star I have not worried about a single thing. I have completely lost myself in the service of those around me. 
 And I have loved every minute of it. 
 As I look at those I have served President Hinckleys quote makes complete sense. I feel that I have benefited more from those I have been able to serve than they have benefited from my service. 
 They have taught me to truly love and appreciate the good life I have. These wonderful people have very little and yet they still smile, thank God, and praise his name for what they do have. 
 In the colony we worked at yesterday I was amazed at how much those in the colony helped each other. There were sons helping their mothers, those who could see helping the blind, and those who could walk helping those who had to crawl on the floor to get from one station to the next. 
 Albert Schweitzer said, "I don't know what your destiny will be but one thing I know; the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.  
 That is the key to the happiness of the people here. They have sought and found how to serve one another. The happiness of that service and helping their fellow man is what shines in their eyes. 
 Gandhi said, "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."
 What I have learned in my humanitarian work from the people in Tonga and India is that true happiness does not come from worldly possessions. 
Happiness is found in your family, friends, and faith. 
 President Monson said, "Perhaps when we face our maker, we will not be asked, 'How many positions did you hold,' but rather, 'How many people did you help?"
 Coming to Rising Star has really been an answer to my prayers and I hope that I have answered the prayers of those around me. 
 President Uchtdorf said, "In the end the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance." 
 It has been hard to see the struggles that the people living in this country have to face. Why was I so blessed to live where I do and be part of the wonderful family I am when others are less fortunate? 
The answer to my question came from a quote by President Kimball, "God does watch over us and does notice us, but it is usually through someone else that he meets our needs."  
I can help be God's hand in letting these people know they are loved and cared for while I am here in India. I love the quote by Gandhi in the picture above. This wall painting is in the library at the school at Rising Star. It says "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

4 comments:

  1. Allison!!! It looks like you are having an amazing adventure!!! I am glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I love reading your experience. Thank you for the inspiration that you are and using your many talents to bless many lives. I'm a big fan. Taught afew people from Chennai while serving in Stillwater, OK. Yes it's definitely on my list of places to see.. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience Allison, you are very inspiring. Glad you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, I'm so happy for you and the adventures that you are having. I can tell you have grown so much. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete