Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It's all about LOVE

What another wonderful day in India! Luckily we have air conditioning in our bedrooms and I was able to sleep really well. First thing we did this morning was meet outside to go over what we were going to do for the day. We begin each day with a prayer, which I love! It really brings the spirit. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the power of prayer and the Lord answering my prayers. 
                                             Birdie and I in the kitchen getting some breakfast
                                       Waiting for the bus watching the cute kids play volleyball

                                                         Drive to the Leprosy Colony
 I was a little nervous for the trip to the colony today. I think because I didn't know what to expect. When we got there we started unloading supplies from the van and gradually the people started coming out. There was one man who kept putting his hands together and thanking us. I felt the spirit so strongly and right then felt love towards all these people. The colony was right next to a small village, but they are completely fenced off from everyone else. I can't imagine what that would feel like, and I'm so glad we get to come help them and show love and compassion towards them. When we work in the colony there are different stations, one for blood pressure/blood sugar/eye drops, and the other is for wound care. I helped in the wound care which is divided into different stations. First they get their old bandages removed, then their feet are washed and oiled, then they are re-bandaged. I was helping re-bandage the wounds. I had the help of a wonderful Indian woman who has been doing this for 4.5 years. She was so kind and patient in teaching me what to do. It was hard to see the wounds on their feet. A lot of them don't even have fingers or toes anymore. They also have lost the feeling in their feet, so the Indian woman working with me would cut off the old skin and then I would re-bandage the wound. I loved serving these people and seeing their smiling faces. They have such a hard life, but they continue to smile and thank God.
One of the other volunteers took pictures while we were working so I will have to get those from him and post them later, for now these are the pictures I took after we finished.


              The colony we went to today was one of the smaller ones, they live in the rooms on the right.
                                                    I loved this woman! She is so beautiful!
                                            I feel there is such a story to be told in their eyes.


 Ok, this man was adorable! You always ask if you can take a picture before you take one because some people don't like their picture taken. When I asked this man if I could take his picture he just said "1, 2, 3!" and flashed a big smile :) Loved it!
                                                         Love his smile! Such a sweet man.
 After we got everything cleaned up our driver took us to one of the temples. These stairs just kept winding back and forth going up, up, up! It was so hot, and my body showed proof, Nusly said to me "You have back sweat haha" Ya, next time I shouldn't wear yellow, it definitely shows the sweat more...
                                             Finally made it to the top and had a great view!


After visiting the colonies we had some down time before play time with the kids, which is my favorite part of the day :) 
                    This is Nagashwari, she is so sweet and beautiful, she is also in my family group at night
                              These two are Trisha and Esaree, they love to just sit down and talk

                                                           Esaree and her cousin Mary
                                                                Love their smiling faces!

  I pushed these kids on the swings forever! They don't all know my name so they would just say "Aunti push me high!" 



 Esaree and her friend got a hold of my camera, this is 1 of about 6 photos that they took, I think they like to model in front of the camera:)


                          I can't remember this boys name, but we are tight, I taught him a secret handshake:)
Just the end to another great day here in India! Tomorrow we will help tutor the kids in the school. I can't wait to spend more time with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment